Preventive services are an important component of a living a healthy lifestyle. Preventive services include things like exams, shots, screenings, and lab tests. They may also include health monitoring, counseling and education programs.
Medicare Part B covers an annual Wellness visit and several other preventive services. If you register at MyMedicare.gov, you can track your preventive services, receive a calendar of the Medicare-covered tests and screenings you’re eligible for, and print a personalized on-the-go report to take to your doctor appointments.
Preventive services that may be covered by Medicare Part B include:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
- Bone mass measurements
- Breast cancer screening (mammograms)
- Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy)
- Cardiovascular disease screening
- Cervical and vaginal cancer screening
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Depression screening
- Diabetes screening and self-management training
- Glaucoma tests
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) infection screening
- Hepatitis C screening test
- HIV screening
- Lung cancer screening
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program
- Obesity screening and counseling
- Prostate cancer screening
- Sexually transmitted infection screenings and counseling
- Shots (COVID-19, flu, pneumococcal, Hepatitis B)
- Smoking and tobacco use cessation counseling
- “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit
- Yearly “Wellness” visit
To learn more about Medicare coverage for preventive services, visit https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/preventive-screening-services.
If a service you receive isn’t covered by Medicare and you think it should be, you can appeal it. To file an appeal, follow the instructions on your Medicare Summary Notice. For more information on filing an appeal, visit https://www.medicare.gov/claims-appeals/how-do-i-file-an-appeal or call 1-800-MEDICARE.